Wednesday, November 18, 2009

You didn't graduate with your MRS degree?!




Like, I totally tried to get my MRS degree in college, but it just didn't work out.  So, I got a real degree.

I've been in my profession for about 2 1/2 years.  Graduating from college and being in the real world is kind of a challenge!  My whole life I've had a goal to work towards.  In high school I was working to graduate from high school and knew I would go to college.  In college I knew I would work to get my bachelors degree, which was elementary education, and then start teaching.  I hoped or planned that if I didn't get married in college, I would just start my profession.  But, I never thought about what I would do if I didn't get married during college.  So, now I'm graduated and have always been slightly unsure of where I should go from here.  Working is great and I love my job, but I feel a need to be working toward something.  First, I decided to go through the temple and that has really enriched my life spiritually.  But, I would also like to work toward goals mentally and physically.

So, I've thought a lot about going back to school to get a masters degree.  Not necessarily to move up in my profession, but to just get more education.  Step 1: I took the GRE.  SCARY!  I started with the prep course and then about 3 months later finally decided to schedule a time to take and about 2 months later actually took the test!!  I didn't do so well with studying for it, but I actually did pretty well and was able to get the scores I wanted to get.  Now, luckily, I don't have to retake the test!

Now, I have to start thinking about which masters degree I'd like to do.  Then, I have to decide which schools I want to apply to.  Boy oh boy is this super stressful for me because I do not like change.  Plus, my whole family is right around where I live, so the big question is:  Do I leave my job and where I live and find another job so I can go to school away?  This question has caused me way to much anxiety.  So, I pretty much don't think about it.

Right now, I'm just pleased that I'm working on my goals and trying to make my life the best it can be with or without a man!  For your singles out there, education might not be your best option, but I strongly suggest working toward things that can refine your life and give it as much meaning as possible.  Who knows what the future will be...  But, I know that Heavenly Father will bless us if we're trying our hardest to be the best we can be and having a positive attitude while we do it.

1 comment:

  1. What I think is awesome about this is that I am writing my Master's Thesis on the MRS Degree and I would love to use your blog and pick your brain. A couple other Blogspotter's have made my preliminary research. If you'd like to take a look at it and see if you'd like to be a part of it feel free to email me at josh.webb@mail.com

    ReplyDelete